Cast Iron Skillet Veggie Pizza
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp warm water
- ½ packet active dry yeast
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour + more for kneading
- Jersey Italian Gravy Pizza Sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp sliced black olives
- Red pepper flakes - optional
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Make the dough by adding the warm water into a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the yeast and let sit for 5 minutes. You should be able to see the yeast start to bloom. Stir in the honey, olive oil, and salt with a wooden spoon.
- Add the flour and stir until a dough forms. Pour out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 2-3 minutes or until the dough is smooth. Form into a ball and place into a greased bowl. Cover and let rise for 1 hour until doubled in size.
- After the dough has risen, turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for about 1 more minute. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes to rest.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make the pizza by pressing the dough evenly into the bottom of a 10” cast iron skillet, pushing a little bit of the dough up the sides.
- Pour on desired amount of pizza sauce and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly on top of the sauce, followed by the red onion, bell pepper, black olives, and a pinch of red pepper flakes if using.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, then raise the oven temp to broil and broil or 1 minute or until golden brown on top. Keep an eye on the pizza during this step so you don’t burn.
- Let rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Top with fresh parsley if desired.