Traditional Fried Mozzarella Sticks
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cup italian breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 16 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced into ½ inch thick sticks
- Vegetable or avocado oil, to fry
- Classic Jersey Italian Gravy, warmed, to serve
- Place the flour in a small shallow bowl.
- In another small shallow bowl, beat the eggs with a tablespoon of water.
- In another small shallow bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, grated parmesan, and salt and pepper.
- Dip a mozzarella stick in the flour mixture, then use your other hand to dip the stick in the egg mixture and let the excess drip off. Use your other hand to dredge the stick in the breadcrumb mixture, then return to the egg mixture and dredge again. Return again to the breadcrumbs and dredge, then set on a tray or baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining mozzarella.
- Place the tray of prepared mozzarella sticks in the freezer and let chill for 20-30 minutes.
- In a deep, large saucepan over medium high heat, heat about 2 inches of oil to a constant temperature of 350-375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove mozzarella from the freezer and carefully drop two sticks in the hot oil. Fry the mozzarella, turning gently with tongs, for about 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining mozzarella sticks.
- Serve warm with Classic Jersey Italian Gravy to dip!