Stuffed Tomato Basil Portobello Mushrooms
- 6 large portobello mushrooms, washed and trimmed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup finely diced white onion
- 2 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp salted butter, melted
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 ½ cups Jersey Italian Gravy Tomato Basil Sauce
- 4 oz goat cheese, sliced
- Fresh basil leaves, to serve
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Place a large cooling rack on top of a large baking sheet. In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with the melted butter and parsley.
- Place the mushrooms, stem side down, on the rack and roast in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until almost tender. Remove from the oven and flip the mushrooms step side up.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the onion is just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the spinach and a dash of salt and pepper. Saute the spinach, stirring often, for about 2 minutes, or until wilted. Stir in the Jersey Italian Gravy Tomato Basil Sauce and remove from heat.
- Spoon a few tablespoons of spinach sauce mixture into the mushrooms. Place a couple pieces of goat cheese on top, then the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake the stuffed mushrooms in the preheated oven for about 5 more minutes, until the breadcrumbs are crisp. Broil on high for 2-3 minutes to further brown the breadcrumbs, if desired.
- Remove from heat and serve topped with fresh basil!