Lasagne Bolognese recipe
1 box of preferred lasagne noodles
10 oz mozzarella cheese
For the Bolognese sauce:
1/4 cup of Olive oil
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup of dry red wine
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 jar of Jersey Italian Gravy Tomato Basil
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
1/2 cup of water (as needed)
1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano, or 1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp of salt
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp all purpose flour
4 cups of milk
salt and pepper to taste
- Make the Bolognese sauce. Heat the olive oil to a large skillet on medium high heat. Add the chopped onion, carrots and celery. Saute until soft, around 7-10 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and continue cooking until the meat doesn't have more pink spots. Add the wine and cook until wine is reduced.
- Stir in the Jersey Italian Gravy, tomato paste, salt and herbs. Cover and simmer the sauce for 1 1/2 hours. Check the sauce a couple of times and add water if it becomes too thick.
- Make the Bechamel Sauce: In a medium pot, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the flour to the melted butter and whisk very well. Slowly pour the milk to the flour and butter mixture and keep whisking the sauce until it gets thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble the Lasagne: Preheat the oven to 350F. In a 13x9 baking dish, pour 1/2 cup of bechamel sauce on the bottom of the dish. Top with one layer of lasagne noodles, 1/2 cup of bechamel sauce, 3/4 cup to 1cup of bolognese sauce and 1/4 cup of cheese. Repeat 3-4 times for a total of 4 or 5 layers.
- Bake the lasagna covered for about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes. When ready let the lasagna sit for around 20 minutes before serving.