Fried Polenta & Classic Gravy
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup yellow corn polenta
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten with a splash of water
- ¾ cup italian style breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Avocado or vegetable oil, to fry
- Classic Jersey Italian Gravy, to serve
- Cook the polenta: Bring the water and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Quickly stir in the polenta and lower the heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, until well combined and the polenta has thickened, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and cook for another 7-10 minutes, stirring often, until very thick and tender.
- Immediately pour the polenta into a lined baking dish and spread in an even layer. Cover and transfer to the refrigerator. Chill until completely firm, about 2 hours. Remove and cut the polenta into ½ inch slices or otherwise as desired.
- Set up a dredging station: Place the flour in a shallow dish. Place the eggs in another shallow dish. Mix the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in another shallow dish.
- Dip a piece of polenta in the flour, then dip in the egg, letting the excess egg drip off. Dip in the breadcrumb mixture, rotating so all sides are coated. Set aside and repeat with the rest of the polenta.
- Heat a deep skillet over medium high heat and add enough oil to coat the skillet with ¼-½ inch of oil. Once the oil is heated to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit, carefully place 3-4 prepared polenta pieces in the oil.
- Fry for about 4-5 minutes, rotating with tongs every 2-3 minutes or so, until golden brown and crispy. Remove and let drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining polenta.
- Serve warm or chilled with Classic Jersey Italian Gravy to dip!