Classic Lasagna with Tomato Basil Gravy
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 tsp dried italian seasoning
- Pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 10 oz lasagna noodles
- 1, 24 oz jar Jersey Italian Gravy Tomato Basil
- Preheat the oven 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion. Saute the onion until almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and garlic and saute until the garlic is no longer fragrant and the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Mix together the ricotta cheese, spinach and onion mixture, parmesan cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, Italian seasoning, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions until al dente. After draining, toss with a spoonful of olive oil to avoid sticking.
- Make bechamel sauce: Heat a medium saucepan over medium-low heat and add the butter. When the butter melts, whisk in the flour. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Slowly whisk in the milk, ½ cup at a time. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and bring to a simmer, stirring often, until the sauce is thickened. Remove from heat.
- Spoon some of the bechamel sauce in the bottom of an 8x8 inch baking dish and spread in an even layer. Top with a layer of cooked lasagna noodles. Spread some of the ricotta mixture over the noodles and in an even layer. Spoon some more bechamel sauce over the ricotta. Spoon some of the tomato basil gravy over the bechamel.
- Top with a layer of cooked lasagna noodles, then repeat layering with the ricotta mixture, bechamel, and tomato basil gravy. After the last layer, top with the remaining 1 ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 mins, or until the lasagna is bubbling on the sides and the cheese is melted and browned in some spots. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.