Cheesy Loaded Veggie Calzones
Ingredients - makes 4 calzones
- 1, 14-16 oz ball premade pizza dough
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 cup diced red onion
- ⅔ cup sliced black olives
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg + 1 tsp water, beaten for an egg wash
- Classic Jersey Italian Gravy, warmed, to serve
- Preheat the oven 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, salt, and pepper. Sauté, stirring often, until vegetables are mostly tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sliced olives. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooling, cut the ball of pizza dough into four pieces. On a floured surface, roll out each piece into a circle.
- Divide the vegetable mixture between the four circles of dough, placing the vegetables on one half of the circle and leaving extra space around the edges. Place about ¼ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the vegetables.
- Fold the other half of the dough over the filling. Crimp the edges with your fingers tightly so that the dough sticks.
- Brush the egg wash over the top of the folded calzones. Cut 2-3 one inch slits on top of the dough to let any steam escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes or until golden brown on top and underneath.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then serve with warmed Classic Jersey Italian Gravy!