- 1-2 tomatoes
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 2 slices ciabatta or other artisan sandwich bread
- 2 tbsp softened butter or mayonnaise
- Fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Basil leaves
- Balsamic glaze
- Jersey Italian Gravy Arrabbiata, to dip
- Slice the tomato and season with salt and pepper. Spread one side of each slice of bread with the butter or mayonnaise.
- Lay the bread butter side down and place the tomato, mozzarella, and basil on top. Top with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
- Heat an oiled grill pan over medium heat. When hot, place the sandwich in the skillet. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes, until the underside is browned with grill marks and the cheese has begun to melt. Flip the sandwich and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes or until both sides of the panini are browned and the cheese is somewhat melted but still firm. Alternatively, use a panini press to grill the sandwich according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Warm the arrabbiata sauce in the microwave if desired, then serve the sandwich hot with the sauce to dip!